What you don’t know won’t hurt you, but it might cost you quite a bit of cash. HVAC mistakes can increase your energy bills, lead to unexpected repairs and eventually shorten the life of the system. Once a problem develops, you can’t undo it, so it’s best to avoid these missteps in the first place.
Common Heating and Cooling Mistakes
- Skipping maintenance may save you a few dollars in the spring and fall, but it leads to higher long-term expenses. Analysts hired by a global property management company found that preventive maintenance offers a return on investment of 545 percent.
- Air filters are cheap. The problems that clogged filters cause are not. Restricted airflow decreases heating and cooling efficiency by 10 percent. It can also cause the unit to shut off or fail. Replace or inspect disposable filters monthly to avoid repairs and service calls.
- Closing the air vents in nearly every room is not a good idea. It restricts the airflow throughout your home. This can decrease efficiency and put more pressure on the ducts. It will also take longer to cool your home.
- Thermostat wars are a common problem at home and at work. These frequent adjustments are also expensive. If you have a programmable thermostat, using home and away settings that are at least eight hours each will save you more money.
- If you do have a problem with your heating and cooling system, call a professional. Continuing to operate the equipment can damage the compressor and other critical parts. Most air conditioners are equipped with an automatic shutoff that protects the unit. Never attempt to override this safety feature.
What You Can Do Next
If you’re concerned about how much money your air conditioning system is costing you, follow our energy saving tips, or call Ful-Bro Heating and Air Conditioning at 678-369-0500. We can complete a tune-up or diagnose a problem before it worsens.